03 April 2016

Part 3 Molding and Casting - Reflection

When I began to research and gather together the materials for Part three I thought I was going to struggle.  However, as I researched the properties and health and safety of the different materials that could be used in Part three I began to think of it in a different light.  Doing the research into each of the materials helped me enormously with the decision about which I should choose.  It definitely helped me decide that I did not want to play around with anything that had huge health and safety issues with it.  I thought about this and wondered if I was being too blinkered in my choices but realised that this is who I am so chose materials I felt comfortable with.

When I researched artists for this assignment I was unsure as to what I would feel about the work because it didn't quite fit into textiles for me.  However, I really enjoyed looking at the work of Eduardo Paolozzi and feel it inspired my casting samples.  I am beginning to look further afield for artists work that could have an interest for me and am finding I am not so initially dismissive of something.  I am beginning to look closer and ask more questions as the course goes on.  It is not quite second nature but I feel I am beginning to get there.

I feel that I have been quite free with my sample making.  I have found that I can go further with some sampling and am learning not to worry if something does not work.  I don't feel as concerned now as to whether I am doing something right or wrong.  I think I am more open to working on something that takes me in a different direction where before this would concern me because it wasn't true to the original idea.

I really like working with fabric and thread but working with the different materials in this part of the course has been very interesting for me because I can see that I could incorporate different materials together using stitch even though it may not be in the traditional sense.  I particularly like the contrast of the plastics and clay against the thread.  

Overall I have found this assignment to be very interesting and has helped me to widen my interest into other aspects of art and textiles.  I think I have also got over my slight hesitation to play around with materials and techniques more and not to worry about whether the outcomes are right or wrong or true to the original idea.  I realise nothing is wasted.

Points I think I need to work on:


  • Drawing more of my samples.  Using my sketchbook to make notes and drawings of ideas.  This is an ongoing battle I have with myself and my sketchbook as to what I am to put in it.
  • Continue to develop my feeling of being playful with sampling and take techniques a step further even if it takes me away from the original.
  • Research more widely.  I am using the internet/Pinterest/books.  I think I need to visit more museums and galleries.  
  • I find it difficult to compare my work with artist's work.  I need to develop my writing about their work more and question more why I do or don't like a piece of work.  Not to worry as to whether my opinion is right or wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment