03 April 2016

Part three Molding and Casting Stage 4 Sorting




I like the two thermoplastic samples above because of the way the pattern from the food containers that the plastic was cast in have come out so clearly and that the plastic has taken being coloured with paints well.




I think this is a successful sample because the strong colours and softness of the crochet stand out against the white hard plastic.  The crochet gives the hard plastic pieces movement.  


I like this sample because I have been able to use thread in it and I particularly like the movement because of the way I have left a gap between the clay pieces when sewing them together.



In this sample the thick soft contrast of the scrim against the thin hard clay has made the clay pieces stronger and I find this interesting because the clay has been rolled so thin it is very delicate.  




This sample is a favourite because I like the fact I have been able to stitch into the hard clay but keeping a delicate look with the stitching even though the holes are quite large in comparison to the thickness of the thread.  Thinking about this now I can see that I could work into the overlapping edges to give them some interest for example perhaps cutting pieces out of the edge.  However, I do like the quite simple look of this piece although it has quite a lot going on - the overlapping of hard materials, joined together by sewing with fine thread.




This sample interested me because I could manipulate the air dry clay almost like a piece of fabric.  I think it has given an interesting surface as it has dried.  The folds are tactile and as it has dried cracks have appeared in the clay that look almost like fabric creases.  I like the way the clay is very pliable and I can manipulate it to attain the folds.

No comments:

Post a Comment